Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Research Log - Multiple Monitors

In my last post I mentioned that I was going to give the Research Log another chance.  And, I have. And, I LOVE it!

I set up my Research Log spreadsheet in Excel, and I am actually using it.  But, I have to say that what makes it really useful is having it loaded on a second monitor, all the time.   Yes, I have 2 computer monitors and I wish I had room for a 3rd one.  My Research Log lives on one screen while I am doing online research or recording data in my genealogy software program on the other monitor.  This set up makes it super easy to keep an eye on everything, all the time.'

How it all works:  I'm searching for some online document; it is already recorded in my Research Log.  As I am searching I come across another record that looks promising for this or another ancestor.  Right at that moment, I can move across to my second monitor, and I can add a new to do search to my research log.  So, whether I follow up then or later, it is in my research log and not on some scrap of paper or subject to my faulty memory.

In addition, suppose while I am entering my new finds into my database or analyzing my family's information I have a sudden inspiration that I need to search for some new document(s).  No problem, I just move my mouse over to my other monitor and quickly add a new search to do in the ever present Research Log.

Saving my Research Log to the cloud, means that my spreadsheet will be available to me no matter where I am or which of my portable devices I might be using. 

No comments:

Post a Comment